Jane Eyre Contents
- Social / political context
- Educational context
- Religious / philosophical context
- Literary context
- Note on chapter numbering
- Volume 1 / Chapters 1 - 15
- Volume 1: Dedication and Preface
- Volume 1, Chapter 1
- Volume 1, Chapter 2
- Volume 1, Chapter 3
- Volume 1, Chapter 4
- Volume 1, Chapter 5
- Volume 1, Chapter 6
- Volume 1, Chapter 7
- Volume 1, Chapter 8
- Volume 1, Chapter 9
- Volume 1, Chapter 10
- Volume 1, Chapter 11
- Volume 1, Chapter 12
- Volume 1, Chapter 13
- Volume 1, Chapter 14
- Volume 1, Chapter 15
- Volume 2 / Chapters 16 - 26
- Volume 3 / Chapters 27 - 38
1. In what ways might a knowledge of the social and political context in which Jane Eyre was written and first published contribute to an understanding of the novel?
2. Discuss the ways in which Charlotte Brontë uses the different locations in Jane Eyre in order to emphasise the themes of the novel.
3. How might Mrs Reed and her children tell the story of Jane Eyre's life at their home? How would this help the reader to understand the themes of the novel?
4. How does Charlotte Brontë make use of weather and the natural world in the novel?
5. Write an essay on the characters, personalities and aspirations of Mr Rochester and St John Rivers. What factors influence Jane in her relationship with these two men?
6. Write an essay describing the narrative structure of Jane Eyre and discussing how it may affect the reader's understanding of the action of the novel.
7. Discuss Jane's relationships with Helen Burns, Miss Temple and the Rivers sisters. What kind of role models do they offer Jane in terms of how a woman might live her life?
8. To what extent is it useful to see the narrative of Jane Eyre in terms of a fairy tale or a pilgrimage?
9. Write an essay on parents (both living and dead) in Jane Eyre. In what
ways does their presence or absence affect the lives of their children?
10. Discuss the ways in which Jane Eyre may help the reader to understand
nineteenth century attitudes towards children.
Jane Eyre » Sample questions
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.