A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Assumption
TranslationLatin: adsumere, 'to take up'
The mother of Jesus. The Gospels state that Mary's pregnancy was brought about by the Holy Spirit and not through a human relationship; she is therefore known as the 'Virgin'.
1. The human body, viewed positively in the Bible because it has been made by God though it can be vulnerable to temptation. 2. Term used of the church, 'the Body of Christ'. 3. In Holy Communion the bread is also called the Body of Christ.
In many religions, the place where God dwells, and to which believers aspire after their death. Sometimes known as Paradise.
1. Genesis indicates that death was not part of the orginal plan for human beings but is one of the consequences of the Fall. 2. The death of Jesus is presented as opening up the possibility of reconciliation with God.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.