A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Thomas
1. Thomas, St. One of the twelve apostles. The Gospel of John states that Thomas was not present when Jesus first appeared to them as a group on the evening of the first Easter Day after he had risen from the dead. Thomas is said to have questioned their account until Jesus also appeared to him. Traditionally believed to have taken the Christian message to India.
2. St Thomas Becket, (?1118-70). Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 and martyr famously murdered by knights of Henry II at Canterbury Cathedral after dispute with Henry II. Miracles were soon recorded at his tomb and he was officially declared a saint in 1173, his shrine becoming one of the most popular pilgrimage centres in Christendom.
John is quite unlike the other gospels in its concentration on the significance of Jesus as seen through the eyes of the beloved Disciple who was almost certainly John the son of Zebedee, the traditional author of this gospel. It is the gospel of signs and includes the unique series of I am sayings by Jesus e.g. 'I am the way, the truth and the life'. This recalls the portrayal of God as the I AM in the Old Testament (Ex 3:14).
Famous stories from the Bible: Feeding of the 5000; Jesus and Nicodemus; Jesus, his death and resurrection
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.