A-Z: Books of the Bible: Zephaniah
OT Prophecy (minor prophets)
A prophecy of judgement against Judah (probably uttered around the time Jeremiah's ministry began but before king Josiah launched his programme of reform in 621 following the discovery of the law-book in the temple).
The plans or message of God communicated by God through a human messenger called a prophet.
2. A decision about guilt, and / or the passing of sentence by the person presiding over a court of justice.
3. In the Bible, God's verdict on human behaviour especially on the Day of Judgement at the end of time.
1. The fourth son of Jacob. 2. One of the twelve tribes of Israel. 3. The kingdom which covered the southern area of Palestine.
Jeremiah was a prophet in 6BCE and 5BCE, who lived through the destruction of Jerusalem and its temple, when the people of Israel were taken into slavery in Babylonia. His prophecies are recorded in the Book of Jeremiah in the Old Testament.
Old Testament King of Judah
1. A term for the first five books of the Bible (also called the Torah or Pentateuch). Torah means instruction, doctrine, law'.
2. Instruction and guidelines covering every aspect of life contained in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament).
A sacred building used for worship. In the Bible, the Temple was the centre of Jewish worship in Jerusalem. In the New Testament, the term is also used as an image of the believer's physical body.