A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Anachronism
DefinitionA statement or image which fails to take account of historical time ('chronos' in Greek means 'time'). For example, Shakespeare mentions a 'doublet' in 'Julius Caesar', although this was an Elizabethan, not a Roman, item of clothing.
TranslationGreek: 'chronos' means time.
1. Imitation, copy, likeness, statue, picture in literature, art or imagination. 2. A figure of speech in which a person or object or happening is described in terms of some other person, object or action (i.e. as a metaphor or simile)
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.