A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Canon
1. The list of books which the Christian church accepts as inspired by God and authoritative. See Apocrypha. 2. Priest who is part of a group of clergy attached to a cathedral. 3. A set of rules governing how a church is to be run and what its beliefs are. 4. To canonise is to declare someone a Saint, worthy of special honour and veneration within the Roman Catholic church.
5. In Literary Studies, the canon is the group of those texts deemed worthy of serious study by students of literature.
TranslationGreek: kanon, 'measuring' rod or 'rule'.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.