A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Mendicant
1. Member of one of the orders of begging friars.
2. To rely on the charity of others for the provision of one's livelihood, often through itinerant begging. Particularly adopted by religious orders, such as monks and nuns, although the term can also refer generally to beggars. Mendicant orders are those who do not own property in principle. This practice was particularly popular during the Middle Ages.
TranslationLatin: mendicus meaning beggar
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.