A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Parallelism
DefinitionA linguistic device whereby an idea, image, sentence is paralleled by another in a repeating pattern. The poetry of the Old Testament is largely constructed in this way: one line being followed by a second or even third line constructed in a similar way, containing a similar idea or image. At one extreme, rhyme itself could be seen as a parallelism, being repeating sounds.
1. Imitation, copy, likeness, statue, picture in literature, art or imagination. 2. A figure of speech in which a person or object or happening is described in terms of some other person, object or action (i.e. as a metaphor or simile)
The device, frequently used at the ends of lines in poetry, where words with the same sound are paired, sometimes for contrast ' for example, 'breath' and 'death'.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.