A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Penance
DefinitionAn act expressing repentance. In the Roman Catholic Church, a sacrament involving contrition (sorrow for sin) , confession, satisfaction (e.g. prayer, fasting, almsgving or pilgrimage) and absolution (formal declaration of God's forgiveness, pronounced by a priest) .
TranslationLatin: poena, 'punishment'.
The act of turning away, or turning around from, one's sins, which includes feeling genuinely sorry for them, asking for the forgiveness of God and being willing to live in a different way in the future.
Member of a worldwide Christian church which traces its origins from St. Peter, one of Jesus' original disciples. It has a continuous history from earliest Christianity.
1. Term for a worshipping community of Christians. 2. The building in which Christians traditionally meet for worship. 3. The worldwide community of Christian believers.
Religious ceremony which symbolises receiving an inward spiritual grace.
1. The part of a service of Christian worship where people say sorry to God for not living according to his will. 2. The practice of privately telling a priest of wrongdoing.
Communication, either aloud or in the heart, with God.
Going without any food (and sometimes drink) for a specified period.
A journey to a sacred place made for religious reasons. 2. In Christian thought, the journey of the believer through this world towards heaven.
The Bible describes God as the unique supreme being, creator and ruler of the universe.
A person whose role is to carry out religious functions.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.