A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Real Presence
DefinitionTeaching that Christ's body and blood is actually rather than merely symbolically present in the sacrament of the Eucharist.
Title (eventually used as name) given to Jesus, refering to an anointed person set apart for a special task such as a king.
1. The human body, viewed positively in the Bible because it has been made by God though it can be vulnerable to temptation. 2. Term used of the church, 'the Body of Christ'. 3. In Holy Communion the bread is also called the Body of Christ.
Important word in the Bible which can have several meanings: a symbol of life; death (through the shedding of blood); guilt (having blood on one's hands); or sacrifice (as a way of bringing about forgiveness for sin).
In literature, something that is chosen to take on a particular meaning by the writer, e.g. clouds as symbols of mutability.
Religious ceremony which symbolises receiving an inward spiritual grace.
An act of remembrance in which Christians consume bread and wine in the way that Jesus demonstrated at the Last Supper before his betrayal and death.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.