- Social / political context
- Religious / philosophical context
- Literary context
- The Bible: Creation: see Religious / philosophical context
- The Prometheus myth
- The doppelganger
- The monster's reading: Plutarch, Milton and Goethe
- The Romantics: Coleridge, Lamb, Southey, de Quincey
- Title page to the first edition
- Volume 1
- Volume 2
- Volume 3
Title page to the first edition
- What kind of information does the title page offer?
- There are a number of interesting points about the title page:
- the novel is named not for the creature but for his creator
the novel is subtitled: ‘The Modern Prometheus' (see Literary context: The Prometheus myth)
- it was published in three volumes (see Structure).
- no author is named: this was not unusual at this time
- there is a quotation from Paradise Lost by John Milton (see Religious/philosophical context)
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.