- Social / political context
- Religious / philosophical context
- Literary context
- The Bible: Creation: see Religious / philosophical context
- The Prometheus myth
- The doppelganger
- The monster's reading: Plutarch, Milton and Goethe
- The Romantics: Coleridge, Lamb, Southey, de Quincey
- Title page to the first edition
- Volume 1
- Volume 2
- Volume 3
[Note: Remember that websites – including this one – are secondary resources like any other. It is important to check the source of the site and to find out about the author(s). Also, remember that any material you draw from the site should be clearly referenced in essays or project work.]
- This leads to an on-line journal in the Romantic Circles Praxis series, with many articles and essays on Frankenstein; other parts of the site deal with numerous aspects of the Romantic period.
- Website based on an exhibition held at the American National Museum of Medicine in 1997-98; offers particularly interesting illustrations.
- Extremely useful general site, which offers the texts of many poems and other works from the period.
- Text of Mary Shelley's 1826 novel The Last Man.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.