A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Holy Grail
DefinitionIn Christian legend the Holy Grail is the chalice that Jesus used for wine at the Last Supper (Eucharist) and also, according to legend, the cup that caught Jesus' blood when he died on the cross.
Name originally given to disciples of Jesus by outsiders and gradually adopted by the Early Church.
The term for the (often decorated) goblet / cup from which those attending Holy Communion drink the wine (sometimes mixed with water) which symbolises Jesus' blood.
The name given to the man believed by Christians to be the Son of God. Also given the title Christ, meaning 'anointed one' or Messiah. His life is recorded most fully in the Four Gospels.
An act of remembrance in which Christians consume bread and wine in the way that Jesus demonstrated at the Last Supper before his betrayal and death.
How Jesus referred to the vessel from which he drank wine at the Last Supper, which symbolised his own blood shed.
Important word in the Bible which can have several meanings: a symbol of life; death (through the shedding of blood); guilt (having blood on one's hands); or sacrifice (as a way of bringing about forgiveness for sin).
1. Instrument of execution used in the Roman Empire. 2. The means by which Jesus Christ was put to death and therefore the primary symbol of the Christian faith, representing the way in which he is believed to have won forgiveness for humankind.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.