A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: New Jerusalem
The New Jerusalem, also called the Heavenly Jerusalem. According to the Book of Revelation the destination of those who have chosen to be pilgrims on earth and citizens of heaven, a city free from pain and death.
The city on a hill (Mt. Zion) which King David captured and made the capital of Israel. It was the site of the Temple built by Solomon and of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Today it is still a holy city for Jews, Christians and Muslims.
1. Someone who undertakes a journey to a holy place (such as a biblical site or the shrines of the saints) to seek God's help, to give thanks or as an act of penance. 2. A Christian journeying through life towards heaven.
In many religions, the place where God dwells, and to which believers aspire after their death. Sometimes known as Paradise.
The two main cities mentioned in the Bible are Babylon and Jerusalem, where God was believed to dwell. The New Testament speaks of the New Jerusalem a heavenly city, where there will be no more death or pain.
1. Genesis indicates that death was not part of the orginal plan for human beings but is one of the consequences of the Fall. 2. The death of Jesus is presented as opening up the possibility of reconciliation with God.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.