A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Pilate
DefinitionPontius Pilate was the Roman governor in charge of the province of Judea from 26 to 36/37CE, who was involved in the trial of Jesus. He believed Jesus to be innocent but allowed him to be crucified, after washing his hands to signify that he bore no guilt for Jesus' death (hence the expression).
Name for the land of Judah. Sometimes refers to the whole of Palestine but usually to the southern region, excluding Galilee and Samaria.
The name given to the man believed by Christians to be the Son of God. Also given the title Christ, meaning 'anointed one' or Messiah. His life is recorded most fully in the Four Gospels.
Executed by nailing or binding a person to a cross.
1. Genesis indicates that death was not part of the orginal plan for human beings but is one of the consequences of the Fall. 2. The death of Jesus is presented as opening up the possibility of reconciliation with God.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.