A-Z: General definitions
- 39 Articles
- a Calvary
- Aaron's Rod
- Abomination of desolation
- Abraham Lincoln
- Act of Union
- Active Life
- Active verb
- Active Voice
- Adjectives - comparatives and superlatives
- Adjectives - predicative position
- Adolf Hitler
- Adverbs - temporal adverbs
A-Z: General definitions: Figure
An image or form of comparison where one thing is said actually to be another - e.g. 'fleecy clouds'.
An image where one thing is said to be 'as' or 'like' another: e.g. 'He jumped up like a jack-in-the-box'.
In literature, words are used in a non-literal sense much of the time, to make the language striking and persuasive. Sounds are also carefully arranged to have certain effects. This is all figurative language.
(1) An image or figure. (2) A brief elaboration of a passage of scripture
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.