Measure for Measure Contents
- Shakespeare, William
- 1564 - 1582: William Shakespeare's Stratford Beginnings
- 1582 - 1592: William Shakespeare's Marriage, Parenthood and Early Occupation
- 1592 - 1594: William Shakespeare's Life In London, part 1
- 1594 - 1611: William Shakespeare's Life In London, part 2
- 1594 - 1611: William Shakespeare's Life In London, part 3
- 1611 - 1616: William Shakespeare - Back to Stratford
- Social / political context
- Religious / philosophical context
- The Theatre
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Act IV
- Act V
The Tudor monarchy
The Aragon alliance
In 1485, Henry VII came to the throne of England, the first of the Tudor dynasty of monarchs. His elder son, Arthur, was born in 1486 and betrothed as a child to Katharine of Aragon, daughter of the King of Spain. They were married in 1501 when she was 16 and he was 15. However, Arthur died in 1502.
Negotiations then took place to enable Henry VII's second son, Prince Henry, to marry Katharine instead, the alliance between Spain and England being seen as politically desirable.
Annulling the marriage
The dispensation was granted because the marriage to Arthur had not, according to Katherine's sworn declaration, been consummated – that is, the couple had not had sexual intercourse – and so it could not be annulled.
In Measure for Measure the importance of physical consummation as the factor which completes a marriage agreement is a vital issue for Mariana. Shakespeare uses the same point in All's Well That Ends Well. In Romeo and Juliet the lovers' physical consummation of marriage on their wedding night makes even more shocking to Juliet her nurse's assertion that Juliet can pretend she is not married.
Henry VIII becomes king
In 1509, Henry VII died and Henry VIII came to the throne. Shortly afterwards, he married his brother's widow. They had seven children, but only one survived – a daughter, Mary.
Henry felt that she could not possibly follow him in the line of succession to the throne:
- There had not been a queen as ruler of England for 400 years
- At that time the accession of a woman had led to civil war.
Scan and go
Scan on your mobile for direct link.